Wednesday, May 30, 2012

SCBWI+POOL+AMAZING PICTURE BOOK=SALE TO RANDOM HOUSE!


I had a fantastic time at the SCBWI Miami Conference in January. Fantastic because it is a must-go-to conference but ever more so because I discovered an unknown talent who knocked not only my socks off but many an editors' socks off as well.

After the conference was over and all the other faculty and attendees left the hotel, I had a couple of hours until my flight took off so I decided to hang out by the pool. Lucky for me, Aimee Reid was swimming in that thar pool and looked over and said hello. We got to talking and the more I talked to her the more I realized she was the author that one of the editors at the conference had told me about. That editor had critiqued Aimee's manuscript LITTLE GREY and loved it but unfortunately was not acquiring picture books. Of course, being the savvy agent that I am....I asked Aimee to dinner and asked to read her manuscript:)

Let it be said I take on very few picture book authors, very few, but Aimee's voice and her ability to leave white space for the illustrator blew me away, plus the story was something that I knew would appeal to kids and their parents...something they could read together over and over again.

I signed Aimee immediately!

After Aimee went back to Canada and me to California we did a bit of revising and then I sent the ms out to editors. Admiration for the ms and the author poured in. But here is the clincher....I sent Random House editor Jen Arena the ms one day a little after noon. Within minutes she read it and emailed back that she was off to show others. A few weeks later in came a fabulous offer from Jen and RANDOM HOUSE!

Wait, one more topper....I showed the book to Brandy Rivers, dramatic rights agent extraordinaire, who also fell in love with the book and is shopping the book as I type:)

So is this a wild and crazy, over the top, wackadoodle concept....well, let me share the ms cover letter and you can see for yourself:

Aimee Reid has created a relatable, lovable character with LITTLE GREY, a baby elephant who dreams of growing big.

“Mama,” said Little Grey, “when I grow up, will you grow down?”

Over the course of a day, Little Grey imagines himself as caregiver. Each simple act—eating, traveling, bathing, resting—offers him the opportunity to dream of independence and to bask in his mama's love.

In a gentle call-and-response style, LITTLE GREY celebrates the joy of unhurried moments shared between parent and child.

Aimee Reid is a writer, editor, and educator. For many years, she taught high school English, Music, and Special Education. Now Aimee crafts and delivers customized training for corporations, not-for-profits, and writers conferences.

Aimee has published inspirational pieces and curriculum for youth and adults. She has acted as developmental editor for curriculum projects that spanned ages preschool through adult.

Congrats Aimee and Jen!

14 comments:

  1. Nice story, on both accounts. Congrats to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Aimee and Jen and you! Rock stars of the kidlit world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great story of everything coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that's like a movie story... It sure sounds like a lot of stars have alined.
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two wonderful stories! Congrats to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! Wonderful story. Looking forward to reading the book when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! Congrats to everyone! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great timing and find! Little Grey sounds very cute!Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, both! Thank you for sharing. This was inspiring and I can't wait to read LITTLE GREY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I read about the call and response in this story, my early childhood ed sensibilities (don't you just love that word)were on full alert. I love reading call and response books to early learners. What a truly inspiring story. Sorta sounds like a made for Hallmark Channel movie. Congrats to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like everyone is living happily ever after. A lovely acquisition story with dynamic characters Aimee and Jen! Congratulations and Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  12. These "dream come true" happenings are rare indeed. Congratulations and all the best, Aimee, Jill and Jen!

    Little Grey sounds like a delightful story that I'll have to pick up. There will be grandchildren someday...

    ReplyDelete
  13. So encouraging. And it couldn't happen to a nicer person than Aimee. Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My oh my, what a blockbuster tale...hip hip hooray for each one of you happy, happy gals! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner