Friday, April 20, 2012

How I met my Writing Village at SCBWI Summer Conference!

In August 2008 (way before I was an agent), I went to the SCBWI National Conference in LA. I met a slew of wonderful people. In fact, every time I go to an SCBWI event, especially the 4-day lo
ng LA conference, I make new, wonderful friends. But, usually I go home and lose touch with the people I've met. Not this time. I spent a good deal of the conference with 6 women- learning, eating, drinking, and eating some more. If it was any other year, I would have occasionally emailed these women over the next month or two and eventually we would have lost touch. But that year, I told my posse about Google Groups (thanks to Paula Woo!) and so was born RockSugarBeets--named after a couple of yummy restaurants we went to during the conference. I don't think a day goes by that the RockSugarBeets are not in contact. This is not a critique group. There is no stated purpose. RockSugarBeets is my village.RockSugarBeets: Me, Amber Lough, Cindy Pon, Jacqui Robbins, Sara Lewis Holmes, Elise Murphy, Debbie Friedman.


Come to the conference to learn but also make sure to hang in the lobby---you never know if your newest best buddy will be there waiting for you:)

I'll be at the conference this year on faculty---Come meet me! For more info on this summer's SCBWI Conference click HERE 


2 comments:

  1. SCBWI is the mainstay of my writing community, too.((Thanks for letting me use your shampoo that time...:0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and my very first conference is where I met Collyn, one of my very best friends, and YOU! Yes indeed. Some of the best people around! (And hi Kathleen!)

    Lori S

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner