Thursday, March 8, 2012

FIRST LINES

I am a huge fan of a fabulous first line. It truly sets the tone of your book and let's me know I am in for a great ride.

Elizabeth Bluemle has a must-read post on first lines today in PW SHELFTALKER called Great Beginnings. I often tell writers to read the first line, first paragraph, first chapter of books, tons of books...just the first....to see how those firsts effect them.

Then, go create a unique, enticing beginning.

E. Bluemle points out in her post, Martha Brockenbrough did just that, twice in one book!

Martha Brockenbrough, Devine Intervention (Scholastic/Arthur A. Levine).
This one has two great openings:
  • First is a reproduction of a document titled “The Guardian Angels’ Handbook: Soul Rehab Edition,” which begins: “Congratulations! You have been selected for membership in SRPNT, the Soul Rehabilitation Program for Nefarious Teens (Deceased).
  • And then Chapter One: One Monday morning, a couple years before my cousin Mike shot me in the forehead with an arrow, my eighth-grade homeroom teacher brought two cartons of raw eggs to school.
DEVINE INTERVENTION on Goodreads
For more on how to write enticing first lines check out my post ACTIVATE YOUR STORY!

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner