Saturday, July 30, 2011

MY TAKE ON AGENTING + EPUBBING

I think it is interesting that some writers are turning to agents to have their ebooks pubbed. Personally, I do not have the time nor the inclination to handle the production/promotion/sales of ebooks for clients, especially for new projects. In my opinion, there are better freelance editors out there than me, production is the easy part so authors should learn and apply, and marketing....now that is an interesting part of the equation. I probably have more marketing experience than most authors and/or agents, but marketing ebooks could easily be a full-time job for someone in an agency, and I don't want to divert my attention from what I love...discovering talent, nurturing talent and making a love connection betwn authors and editors.

For backlist, epubbing is often the only alternative for authors/illustrators, and I just spoke to Ronnie about it and I know she is trying to figure out how to get our clients' out of print books out as ebooks....Ronnie, who is also a well published author, has a strong backlist of her own so I think she will start by thinking about this for her own books and then go from there.

Things are changing so quickly it is making everyone's head spin, and I think everyone is really trying to do the best for their clients while tapping into what they know how to do and/or are willing to do. I keep hearing the words 'money grab', but I really doubt agents who are trying new ventures are just trying to hold on to every possible dollar flow. I think they are trying to grow and reinvent with the industry.

Things will shake-out and who knows which business model will be the answer, but authors (and I am one too so this is not coming from some podium) need to decide what they want in an agent. If you trusted your agent before, do you suddenly question everything you thought about them because they are offering some services that you are not interested in?

Actually, I see a lot of conflict of interest in some of the biz models, but agenting + epubbing is evolving and time will tell. For now, if you have an agent and he/she is doing a great job for you and you are happy, stop fretting and enjoy your relationship. If you are looking for an agent, decide what you want and query those agents who offer what you are looking for.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for writing and tweeting about this topic. It's interesting to hear an agent's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insights, Jill, in this ever evolving sphere. I found it interesting that even with your expertise in marketing, you wouldn't want to detract from what you see your real agenting task as.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your honest opinion. Everything is changing so fast in an industry that most of the time moves so slowly. I think it's important to be flexible and informed. And I love how you defined your main task as an agent.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insight on this. And yes, everything is changing and new writers have a lot to think about in regards to getting their books on the market. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your point--an agent thinking about how they can grow and change, and possibly support their clients in a new different way, isn't a reason to start worrying about the agent--if you already have a good, trust-based relationship. I'm not sure how I'd weigh an e-publishing element to an agent I was considering, but I do know that I'd rather have an agent watching and exploring than one who is actively avoiding thinking about what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO insightful. Thank you, Jill and Ronnie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading your balanced perspective on it. I agree with you that it's hard to see the business model, but in a changing world, I also see the need to say on top of the change. I appreciate your openness and positivity on these issues.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner