Monday, September 21, 2009

BACK TO SCHOOL: POETRY IN THE CLASSROOM

I am not a teacher but I do go into the classroom and share my love of poetry with students. If it was up to me every lesson, be it science, social studies, math, etc., would begin with a poem. Poetry opens the mind, allows students to think beyond the printed word, expand white space.

Below please find some of the poetry lessons I use in the classroom. I have shared these before on my blog and have heard wonderful feedback from teachers and authors who have implemented them. I can't wait to hear from any of you who give these a try!

1. POETRY JAM: Art-Music-Poetry
A fun lesson in which students create a poem that reflects music, the art this music evoked from them and the words their art evoked in others.

2. MASK POEMS
Kids love to play pretend and in mask poems, where the speaker is the subject of the poem, students can pretend they are garbage cans, flowers, monkeys or anything else that makes their heart sing, or giggle.

3. RIDDLE POEMS
When teaching riddle poems, follow my mask poem lesson but make sure to tell students to include concrete clues in their poems so readers can figure out the riddle. To me, a perfect riddle is challenging but solvable.

4. ACROSTIC POEMS
Acrostics are wonderful 'gift poems' for Mothers Day, Fathers Day, School Spirit Day, etc. They can simply describe the subject of the poem, or they can do much, much more: evoke emotion, tell a story, be placed at the beginning of a report to create interest and invite us to keep reading, ect.

5. HAIKU - HAIKU HAPPENS & TAKE A GINKO WALK
Haiku celebrates nature and is best written in the moment of observation, so why not take your students out for a GINKO, a Haiku Walk?

6. FATHER'S DAY, MOTHER'S DAY, ETC. POEMSAsk students to stretch beyond the list poem of why they think their mom/dad/etc. is great. Teach them how to share how they feel. Why they feel.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these Jill! I was asked once to teach poetry as part of an in class lesson but I felt soooo out of my depth! This will help if I'm asked to again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! Poetry was my very favorite thing to teach when I taught third and fourth grade. I recently started subbing occasionally so I just may incorporate a poetry lesson into my day if time allows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't get into heavy poetry until later this year, but I bookmarked the page. Thanks, Jill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved using Hailstones and Halibut Bones as a springboard for creating color poetry.

    One of my favorite lessons ever included scanning Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening and clapping out the beats. One of my students happened to have his trombone with him at the time and asked to play along. It was a funny, magical moment. Hooray for poetry in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was teaching (a few years ago), I did a poetry unit. By the end of the unit students had enough poems to make a calendar for each month. The kids really enjoyed making the calendars and giving them as Christmas presents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caroline and Sharon, I love those ideas. Thanks so much for sharing!

    Please, keep those poetry lesson ideas coming:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for putting all of these together for us! These are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner