Friday, January 16, 2009

PERSPECTIVE

The following two poems have not only impacted the way I think about life, but the way my kids' think about it too. Thank you, Kristin O'Connell George and Alice Shertle.

THE BLUE BETWEEN
by KRISTIN O'CONNELL GEORGE
Everyone watches clouds,
naming creatures they've see.
I see sky differently,
I see the blue between--

The blue woman tugging
her stubborn cloud across the sky.
The blue giraffe stretching
to nibble a cloud floating by.
A pod of dancing dolphin,
cloud oceans, cargo ships,
a boy twirling his cloud
around a thin blue fingertip.

In those smooth wide places,
I see a different scene.
In those cloudless spaces,
I see the blue between.

A FROG IN THE WELL EXPLAINS THE WORLD
by ALICE SCHERTLE

The world is round
and deep
and cool.
The bottom of the world's
a pool
with just enough room
for a frog alone.
The walls of the world
are of stone on stone.
At the top of the world,
when I look up high,
I can see a star
in a little round sky.

Karen Edmisten is hosting today's Poetry Friday Roundup.

4 comments:

  1. I love The Blue Between! It sounds like something a child would discover with their unusual perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna be looking at the blue in between! Like negative space.

    A human describes the world...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill,

    Schertle's poem is one of my favorites. It's a wonderful "point of view" poem.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner