Tuesday, December 30, 2008

POETICALLY SPEAKING: DAD

I've been missing my father lately. He passed away 2 days before Christmas 12 years ago, suddenly. Surprisingly suddenly.

A few years ago I was teaching poetry in the classroom just before Father's Day. My hope was to teach these 3rd graders to stretch beyond the list poem of why they think their dad is great. I asked them to remember a specific activity or day they loved sharing with their dad and then tell their dad why that activity or day was special. I wanted the kids to give their fathers insight into their feelings. The students' poems where wonderful, a beautiful Father's Day gift.

As always, with any assignment I create, I wrote one too. What follows is my Father's Day poem told from my middle-grade pov.

Dad

I love when we sit

Just the two of us

Down in the den


TV off

Books down

Sipping tea with

Our day’s events.

Me, replaying scenes from my

Junior-high drama.

And you, offering advice from

Your barrister chair.
You, doling world events,

With answers and more questions.

And me, luring peace with my
Rock-the-World concert.


I love when we sit

Just the two of us

Down in the den.

© Jill Corcoran 2009

10 comments:

  1. That is lovely. I miss my dad too, especially at Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how we all remember those one-on-ones with our Dads. Those stolen moments we had them all to ourselves---when we truly experience being their little girls again, even at 20 and 30 years old.

    Hugs and thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Jill. You must miss him very much. It reminds me of a poem I wrote about my dad. He's still alive and so I was able to give it to him as a gift. Since he's been so ill lately, I've felt grateful that I've had a chance to tell him how much I love him. I'll send it to you over on RockSugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My special memory is taking the dog for a walk on hot summer nights with my Dad. It was dark, the humid summer air was lifting and our voices seemed to be the only ones in the world.
    Thanks for the reminder;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill, that was lovely. I have heaps of great memories with my dad and I love watching my daughter create some with her father (at the moment he's reading her to sleep).

    I hope you post more of your wondrous poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, thanks for sharing those beautiful thoughts. As I read it, I felt privileged to be in that den seeing both of you together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you ours. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner