Monday, November 10, 2008

ADVICE AND INSPIRATION FOR POETS


One of my favorite books for writers, teachers, students and lovers of children's poetry is SEEING THE BLUE BETWEEN: ADVICE AND INSPIRATION FOR YOUNG POETS, compiled by the great Paul B. Janeczko.

This book is a must have and the perfect gift book. In SEEING THE BLUE BETWEEN, 32 of today's finest children's poets write a letter to the reader addressing a question Janeczko received from countless children, "How can I become a better writer?". Each poet also includes 1 -3 of their favorite poems.

By the way, the title of the book, SEEING THE BLUE BETWEEN, is taken from Kristine O'Connell George's spectacular poem by the same name. Kristine was my first children's poetry teacher at UCLA Extension and the person who inspired me to write poetry for children.

Click through the book's Table of Contents!  This who's who of children's poets makes me giddy knowing I can curl up with their wealth of wisdom, generosity of spirit, and their wonderful, wonderful words.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great recommendation, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing some much needed inspiration! I had looked at this book on Amazon and was considering getting it. (I just posted about how Janeczko's "A Kick in the Head" has been helping me to diversify the poetry forms in a collection I'm working on. He is wonderful!)

    And how lucky you were to have been a student of Kristine O'Connell George's She is one of my favorite children's poets. (I absolutely love "Hummingbird Nest"!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna, I think Kristine is a brilliant poet. I wish she was still teaching. I took the last UCLA class she ever taught, and it was wonderful. Life changing.

    Sara, how did i know you would love this book too. You have a poet's heart.

    Kelly, buy the book. You will be soooo happy you did.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner