Wednesday, October 22, 2008

SCBWI PICTURE BOOK RETREAT COMING UP!

 Yesterday I sent in my manuscript for the SCBWI Picture Book Retreat to be held at the Santa Barbara Mission on January 16-18, put on by the fabulous Alexis O'Neill. Click on this link for the official description from the SCBWISOCAL site, including the 4 editors' likes and dislikes. 

Here's the short version:

Shape your picture book work-in-progress in small, editor-led groups with Lisa Graff, Associate Editor, Farrar, Straus & Giroux; Kathy Landwher, Vice President and Associate Publisher, Peachtree Publishers; Marcia Leonard, Editor, Clarion Books; and Ruta Rimas, Assistant Editor, Balzer & Bray/HarperCollins. Dummy-making roundtable. Hands-on poetry workshop, “Voices & Choices,” with poet Joan Bransfield Graham. 

Last year I went to this retreat and was blessed to have Kristin Daly (formerly with HarperCollins and now with Balzer & Bray) as my group leader. She was fantastic.  I was also able to spend time with and read first pages to the other editors at the retreat--Alexandra Cooper (Simon and Schuster) and Stacy Cantor (Walker). I learned so much from all three of them.

So, who's coming with me?!?

8 comments:

  1. I just replied on the blueboard asking if you're from SB. I was born there and spent most of my life in Ventura County. Enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rena, I never lived in SB. I live in Palos Verdes, CA...S of LAX and N of Long Beach.
    Hope to meet you at a conference or retreat one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! looks like an awesome retreat with some great people to lead it!!!!

    I went to my 1st Novel retreat this past April and it was so helpful! I hope they'll do it again this year. I live on the other side of the U.S. (NC) or else I'd have my sights set on this one!!!! :0)

    Have fun and good luck!

    christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The retreat sounds amazing! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I wish I lived in a place with, well, PEOPLE. No. That's not true. I just wish I could teleport to writing retreats! Have fun for both of us . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to! Bit far for me to go, unfortunately, but have fun!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

join the mailing list

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner